Thursday, July 25, 2013
I remember it like it was yesterday, that summer between high school and college. Sometimes it seems so real and recent; others it seems distant. It was a great summer in some regards, but awkward in others. I was, like many of you, too afraid about some things, and too confident about others. At the time, I was a little uncertain about what the future would hold. In retrospect, I was about to enter a great stage of life at a wonderful new home.
The Carson-Newman community is what drew me to this school, and it didn’t let me down once I arrived here. It gave me a home and a family. The friends I have made, the education I have received, and the lessons I have learned at CN have helped shape me into a more well-rounded and more mature person. Now I am a senior, and my journey as an eagle is coming to an end. I wouldn’t trade my time here for anything.
I know I got pretty serious there, but I couldn’t help it. I love Carson-Newman, and I hope you do too. You will receive far more than intellectual instruction at this place.
One word of advice: You get out what you put in. If you pour into the community that this school creates, you will gain much in return.
I can’t wait to see you in the fall!
Thursday, July 18, 2013
5 reasons that Carson-Newman is awesome:
1. The Professors: All the professors I’ve had here are great. They are willing to be friends, and not just mentors. They care about us more than they care about the information we need from them. I hang out with some professors outside of class, and eat dinner with others. They are cool folks.
2. The Students: Let’s face it; this place wouldn’t exist without us. This campus would be dull without all the personalities that the students bring.
3. The Small Town: We know how to have big fun in this small town. Jefferson City is certainly no metropolis. We don’t have many attractions. So what do we do? We make our own fun! Plus, we get to enjoy the little things like picnics at the lake and throwing Frisbee out on Henderson lawn in the afternoon. Plus, if you want to hit the city, Knoxville is just a stone’s throw away, and Gatlinburg is just around the corner. You could say we have the best of both worlds.
4. The Christian Environment: We don’t hit people over the head with our beliefs here. However, we do support an encouraging environment for spiritual growth. We have several campus ministries and independent student-led small groups that will help you grow as best they can.
5. Intramurals: This place constantly has some type of tournament or season of intramural sports going on. We host everything from competitive card-playing and catch-phrase, to softball, Ultimate Frisbee, and arena flag football. There is something for everyone.
Looking forward to seeing you here in the fall!
Thursday, June 6, 2013
So, if you’re reading this, you must be headed to Carson-Newman this fall to begin (or maybe to continue) your college experience! Our FYCS (First Year and Conference Services) department and our Orientation Staff here at CN are incredible people who are excited to help you get acquainted with Carson-Newman and the people that make it such a great place.
Here’s a pic of last year’s orientation leaders. (That's me right in the middle, being held by all the ladies.) We’re pretty awesome if I do say so myself. We have another excellent set of staff for the upcoming year. Get ready for some fun.
Hopefully everyone who is in my group can find this. I’d love to get to know you over the summer, so please check out the links to my social media sites at the top of the page! Also, I'll be blogging some stuff over the summer for all of you. Make sure you check it out periodically.
We are so excited that you are on your way to joining our family this fall!